Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Château Des Charmes Aligote 2006




Welcome to bottle2glass a blog about what I enjoy,  WINE!


Today I am going to let you know about a bottle of white wine that I purchased and drank the other evening. The winery is a special place for both me and my lovely wife. This is the place we met. SO whenever I see a bottle of wine produced from the winery I will buy it. The winery is  Chateau Des Charmes (click on name to visit winery website)

Chateau Des Charmes is located in Ontario's "wine Country" Niagara-on-the-Lake. I first discovered this winery back when I was in college. We went there as a group to understand what is involved in a winery. We followed the process of wine making from picking grapes to the end product; the wine.  The time that I spent picking grapes is where I met my wife; you can say "I met her through the grapevine"

Before I get into my tasting note;  I must tell you I purchased this wine as I was passing through the Calgary Airport and noticed the bottle. YES I bought it on a whim and the memories of days gone past. I thought I was getting a great deal on this wine at the "Calgary Airport" only to find that it was a few dollars less back home.  Lesson I learnt; do not buy wine on a whim at an airport unless you know the street price! 

Aligote (ah lee go tay) is a white grape from the Burgundy region in France. Chateau Des Charmes as stated on the back of label "are the only producers of this wine in Canada". 
The wine I purchased Chateau Des Charmes Aligote 2006 was Golden to Straw Yellow; Nose - Green Apple and Citrus (Grapefruit, Lemon); Palate - Grapefruit Pith, silkly mouthfeel, and green apple. The cork was very dry and hard to get out of the bottle. It may of been a bad cork as I had the wine in my wine fridge on its side for a week before I decided to open it. I was not a fan of this 2006. It was a 2006 which I believe has seen better days and past its prime.

I like Aligote but this wine did not do it for me. Price of this bottle was between $15 - $20. I will give the 2010 Aligote from this winery a try in the future, but I will not buy it at an airport location!

Ciao!


Chateau des Charmes 2006 Aligote

No comments:

Post a Comment